Equipping Partners for Growth: Brasfield & Gorrie’s Supplier Diversity Impact
October 17, 2022
When we work together toward improving diversity in our industry by sharing our knowledge and resources, we give fellow builders and potential partners opportunities to succeed. As part of Brasfield & Gorrie’s commitment to supplier diversity, we founded EQUIP, a program focused on the success of small and minority-, women-, and veteran-owned business enterprises (MWBEs). It offers opportunities for these trade contractors to level the playing field through virtual classes and education, in-person relationship-building events, and mentorship tailored to each organization’s needs.
In the last year, enrollment in EQUIP increased from 150 organizations to more than 700. We were also able to raise our diverse contractor spend to roughly 14 percent, thanks to the relationships built through EQUIP.
Get to know some EQUIP participants in this video series, where they share what they’ve taken from the program. You’ll meet:
- President Nancy Couch of Environmental Painting Alternatives, who shares her company’s new project opportunities, succession planning, and growth in finding and retaining dedicated employees.
- Maggie Kuyper, owner of Harpeth Painting, who says the opportunity to work on a pet food manufacturing facility has created a longstanding relationship with the project owner and led to referrals to other commercial food companies.
- Marcelo Alvarado of Marand Builders, who considers the opportunity to see the scope of larger construction projects firsthand and learn how to manage them effectively a huge asset to the company.
- MOBU Enterprises Founder and CEO Jessica Lewis, who shares how expanding MOBU’s portfolio with major projects has helped her company distinguish itself in the trade contracting space and gain a foothold in a new market.
- Archie Deese, whose company The Paint Doctor values customer service and repeat work. He considers the opportunities to network and develop reciprocal relationships to be one of the biggest benefits of EQUIP.
- Olandus Eason, a first-generation business owner whose lack of mentorship has been his biggest hurdle. Through EQUIP, he has access to the professional relationships, exposure, and bid opportunities critical to SPEC 9 Commercial Flooring’s success.
Watch the videos here.
Brasfield & Gorrie was recently General Contractor of the Year by the U.S. Minority Contractors Association.Read More
Brasfield & Gorrie’s EQUIP program offers small and minority trade contractors access to educational workshops on industry best practices, as well as information on upcoming projects and networking opportunities.Read More
During Women in Construction Week, our industry comes together to celebrate the women who make a significant impact in our company, industry, and community.Read More